To avoid cyber threats and phishing scams remain, the Office of Information Technology encourages members of the Rutgers community to stay vigilant and to report any suspected attempts to the appropriate authorities, including either Rutgers University Computing Incident Response Team (RU CIRT) and/or the OIT Helpdesk, depending on the type of cyber threat encountered. Below are some more quick tips from OIT’s Phish Bowl to help you avoid phishing scams and don’t forget to watch out for these telltale signs of phishing emails!
- Never open emails or click on links in emails that come from unknown sources.
- Hover over links in emails with your mouse to see if you are being re-directed outside of the university domain.
- Never provide your network credentials (NetID or password) to any source via email.
- Verify requests to purchase gift cards, products, or services with your personal funds in exchange for reimbursement.
- Always verify changes to wire transfer and vendor payment instructions.