The Current is a biweekly newsletter distributed via email to faculty and staff at Rutgers–New Brunswick and Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences. It contains official and timely information with topics such as:
- appointments and retirements,
- awards and honors,
- campus events,
- gifts (announced by Rutgers University Foundation), and
- grants (via a link to the Office of Research and Economic Development).
In addition to the email version of the newsletter, this website contains the current newsletter and an archive of past messages.
General Criteria to Submit Your News
- Due to space constraints, only one submission entry per school per newsletter category will be allowed in each newsletter issue.
- Submissions for consideration must be received by noon on Thursday the week before the issue publishes.
- Due to limited space, only a select number of approved submissions are included in the email newsletter.
- All submissions are subject to approval by The Current editor.
- Submissions will be edited to fit the criteria outlined in these guidelines. The Current editor will work with you to ensure that submission material is edited pursuant to the Rutgers Editorial Style Guide.
- Individuals who submit information for The Current must ensure the accuracy, timeliness, and reliability of the submitted material.
- All submitted discount, calendar, or ticket information from outside organizations will be considered for publication once per academic year based on the benefit and interest of the campus community. Please be aware that placement is not guaranteed.
- Flyers and commercial advertisements will not be published.
- Solicitations will not be accepted.
- Incomplete submissions will not be published or posted.
This section showcases a single story of interest to the Rutgers–New Brunswick and RBHS community per issue and is not necessarily a notice. At this time, we are not accepting general submissions for this section.
Announcements can be time-sensitive in nature (reminders to purchase regalia for commencement, parking permit registration, Rutgers Day program submission deadlines) or activities or announcements that are of interest to the Rutgers–New Brunswick and RBHS community as a whole. These can include surveys, community events, events that require registration, family-oriented activities, and early registration for summer camps. A maximum of four entries will be placed in the email newsletter with a link to additional entries posted on the website.
This section includes on-campus events and speaking engagements at Rutgers–New Brunswick and RBHS. A maximum of four events will be highlighted in the email newsletter with a link to additional events posted on the website.
- Because of the high volume of submissions, events are not featured more than once. Events for the same center/department/office may also not be featured more than once in a two-month period.
- To ensure timeliness, events will not be posted more than two weeks before they occur. If there is an early registration period, an announcement for early registration can be made in the Announcements section.
- Events or speaking engagements that are held outside of Rutgers or not sponsored by a Rutgers entity will not be published.
- If space is tight, events that have a wider appeal and will attract larger audiences will be given preference over smaller events and gatherings.
This section features volunteer events or donation opportunities that are open to faculty and staff members at the university. Examples of these items include blood drive information, counseling and mentoring opportunities, charity 5K runs, and community food drives. A maximum of four entries will be featured in the email newsletter with a link to additional entries posted on the website.
Awards & Honors
Faculty and staff can submit updates about recent awards or honors received. Examples of accomplishments include state, regional, national, or international recognition and leadership appointments. We cannot publish information regarding speaking engagements or published books. However, we will publish information if a book has won an award.
Only information about individuals associated with Rutgers–New Brunswick and RBHS will be published. A high-quality, face-forward headshot that Rutgers has the rights to reproduce is required with your submission. A maximum of four entries will be featured in the email newsletter with a link to additional entries posted on the website.
On the Move
Deans and directors may submit names of individuals who are hired in new roles or retiring from Rutgers–New Brunswick or RBHS. A maximum of four entries will be featured in the email newsletter with a link to additional entries posted on the website.
The Rutgers University Foundation contributed information about recent gifts made to the university. We do not accept general submissions for this section.
Each issue of the newsletter will include a link to grants posted by the Office of Research and Economic Development website. We do not accept general submissions for this section.
Campus Information Services and RU-tv offers other methods of promotion for events that do not fit within the posting criteria for The Current. Contact them to learn how they can help you promote your campus event or visit their page Promote Your Organizations or Event. Or, visit the On-Campus Event Promotions Guide for tips to help spread the word about your event.
Submit Your News
We encourage you to submit your news and events for consideration in a future issue of the newsletter. Submissions for consideration must be received by noon on Thursday the week before the issue publishes.
If you have any questions, please email us at email@example.com.